587,905 active members*
2,912 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > Calibration / Measurement > Newbie, I built my first CNC w/ Vexta PK266-02A. Motor Tuning Pls Help
Page 1 of 2 12

Newbie, I built my first CNC w/ Vexta PK266-02A. Motor Tuning Pls Help

Please help me about the motor tuning setting for my 3 pieces of stepper motor VEXTA PK266-02A using MACH3 for my X,Y,Z Axis. I have no idea about the calculation for steps per revolution, velocity, acceleration. I attach each motor to 1/4" threaded rod.

I became very interested to learn all about CNC Machine building, programming, operating by watching cnc videos and reading topics especially here at CNCzone. I am a newbie and I have no knowledge in mechanical engineering and no electronics background. Base from what I understand about CNC Machines, I finally built my own home version made in MDF for my wood routing hobby. Let me know what you think I like to hear your suggestions and comments. Here are the pics

What drives are you using, and are they microstepping?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Im using PWM Stepper Motor Drive but im not sure about microstepping. I think it has no microstepping setting. For now my motor tuning setting under mach3 is: 400 steps per, 120 velocity, 90 acceleration for all 3 axis motors. I can move all my motor in different directions but the problem is im hearing weird sounds and vibration is kinda loud, is this normal? When I move the motors I notice that my gantry is moving very slow for me, I dont know the settings for its IPM at the moment. Each motor is a 2 phase motor with 1.8 degrees / Step and DC 2A. When I use a ruler to measure the distance to move say 10mm direction, the actual measurement became around 1 inch or a little longer. Also I notice that my motor is very hot touching it like a cup of hot coffee, is this normal? Im using power supply of 12 Volts 12 Amps to control my 3 drives and 3 motors.

What if I change my existing ball screw (1/4 diameter with 20 per inch threaded rod) to drive my 3 axis stepper motors to speed up the movements, what size should I use? I want to optimize the settings of my 3 pieces of Vexta PK266-02A 2 Phase stepping motor to its full potential and use it to my 30x45 MDF CNC Wood Routing with 4 kilograms of router to attach in Z Axis. What will be the settings in mach3 for motor tuning?

Or should I switch to belt drive system using pulleys?

Here is the specification of my motor:

Vexta PK266-02A 2 Phase stepping motor
    Specifications

Product Line VEXTA ®

Motor Type 2-Phase

Motor Frame Size 2.22 in. sq.

Gear/ Shaft Type Round Shaft

Connection Type Bipolar (Series)
    Unipolar

Lead Wires 6

Current per Phase (A/phase) 1.4 Bipolar (Series)
    2 Unipolar

Encoder Not Equipped

Shaft Single

Step Angle 1.8 °

Maximum Holding Torque (lb-in) 10.4 [Bipolar (Series)]
    7.9 [Unipolar]

Rotor Inertia (oz-in2) 1.64 oz-in2

RoHS Compliant Yes

Available to Ship Same Day (if ordered by 12pm PST) (1-10 pcs)

Insulation Resistance 100 M Ω minimum under normal temperature and humidity, when measured by a 500 VDC megger between the motor coils and casing.

Dielectric Strength Sufficient to withstand 1.0 kV, 60 Hz applied between the motor coils and casing for 1 minute, under normal temperature and humidity.

Temperature Rise Temperature rise of the coil measured by the Change Resistance Method is 144°F (80°C) or less (at standstill, two phases energized).

Insulation Class Class B [266°F (130°C)]

Ambient Temperature Range 14°F ~ 122°F (-10°C ~ 50°C)

Ambient Humidity 85% or less

Shaft Runout 0.002 in (0.05 mm) T.I.R. at top of output shaft

Concentricity 0.003 in. (0.075 mm) T.I.R.

Perpendicularity 0.003 in. (0.075 mm) T.I.R.

Radial Play 0.001 inch (0.025 mm) max. of 1.12 lb. (5 N)

Axial Play 0.003 in (0.075 mm) max. of 2.2 lb. (10 N)

Step Accuracy ±3 arc minutes (±0.05°)

Please help I am really interested to learn these stuffs

Stepper Motor Driver Pin Assignments

Please help I finally have my 3 pieces of stepper driver with microstepping, which pin should be assigned to the parallel port from pin 1-25? I will continue to finish my CNC project

Driver 1
    1. 5V
    2. Clock
    3. Direction
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground

Driver 2
    1. 5V
    2. Clock
    3. Direction
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground

Driver 3
    1. 5V
    2. Clock
    3. Direction
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground

Hi Guy! Maybe some of this will help you:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76865.#3

CR.

Thank you very much for the information, it helps me a lot. I wish I can order those gecko drives to be delivered here but customs fees are very expensive

Rapid Speed for Stepper Motors

I have existing 3 stepper motors and 3 stepper drivers with 12volts 10amps power supply, how can I rapid speed my stepper motors? I notice the movement is kinda slow using 13 TPI threaded rod.

Also I finally received my new 3 pieces of stepper driver with microstepping, which pin should be assigned to the parallel port from pin 1-25? I will continue to finish my CNC project. I do not know which pin will I connect 4-X2 and 5-Off to the parallel port

Driver 1
    1. 5V - Pin 1
    2. Clock - Pin 2
    3. Direction - Pin 3
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground - Pin 18

Driver 2
    1. 5V - Pin 1
    2. Clock - Pin 4
    3. Direction - Pin 5
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground - Pin 19

Driver 3
    1. 5V - Pin 1
    2. Clock - Pin 6
    3. Direction - Pin 7
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground - Pin 12

Please help me with these pin assignments to parallel port

Quote Originally Posted by guy2b1
    I would like to ask for a beginner like me in CNC to look for Stepper Motors and Drivers Controllers for wood routing and wood carving with high rapid speeds and torque power to carry a routing tool of 6 kilograms so that my production can be finished on time, what specifications of motors and drivers should I use? Where will I look for it? Been reading a lot of forums here in CNCZone and it really helps me a lot.
    Hi Guy! I guess you have figured out that your present Vexta 6 wire motors are not going to run very fast for you.

I estimate your router size to be about 900 x 600 mm or 36 x 24 inches. This size router, with 10 TPI acme screws and some decent electronics should be capable of 3800 mmPM or150 IPM rapids. Using 2 start Acme screws would double that.

There IS no finer controller for the money than the Gecko G500. This is what I would recommend:

$289 G540 http://kelinginc.net/GeckorDriver.html
    $078 Two $39 KL23H276-28-4B 270 oz motors for X & Y
    $049 One KL23H284-35-4B 387 oz motor for Z
    $060 One KL-350-48 48V/7.3A power supply.
    $010 Estop switch
    $007 3 Home switches
    $009 Straight thru parallel computer cable.
    -----
    $492 Total electronics cost.

$149 Mach3 cost with above purchase.

$641 To spend at Keling. http://kelinginc.net/

This most likely will be the best and lowest cost production electronics for your router. Check out THIS commercial router that uses G540:

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72426

Keling ships internationally at reasonable charge. I don't know about import costs though.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by guy2b1 View Post
    I have existing 3 stepper motors and 3 stepper drivers with 12volts 10amps power supply, how can I rapid speed my stepper motors? I notice the movement is kinda slow using 13 TPI threaded rod.

Also I finally received my new 3 pieces of stepper driver with microstepping, which pin should be assigned to the parallel port from pin 1-25? I will continue to finish my CNC project. I do not know which pin will I connect 4-X2 and 5-Off to the parallel port

Driver 1
    1. 5V - Pin 1
    2. Clock - Pin 2
    3. Direction - Pin 3
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground - Pin 18

Driver 2
    1. 5V - Pin 1
    2. Clock - Pin 4
    3. Direction - Pin 5
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground - Pin 19

Driver 3
    1. 5V - Pin 1
    2. Clock - Pin 6
    3. Direction - Pin 7
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground - Pin 12

Please help me with these pin assignments to parallel port
    Off should be disable, and can probably be ignored, but you did get a manual with those drives?
    X2 sounds like some sort of step multiplier, but that is just a guess.

I just picked up one of those motors and to make it go faster try wiring it half coil. If you are using it full coil and ignoring the other 2 wire it is the same as series winding and it will be slow with lots of torque. Half coil means use an outside wire and the center wire from each coil, not the both outside wires.
    I will be trying this out next week and will get back to you if you don't try it first.

Mariss of gecko shows the proper way to do it , either here on the zone, or on the gecko website.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

thank you

Good idea on the half coil wiring Mike! I should have suggested that. Guess I didn't think to because the motors are very small and may not work well any way. But it's worth a try and here's how to do it:

Insulate the Green wire. Insulate the Blue wire. Electrical tape will do.

Connect Black and Yellow as A, A/

Connect Red and White as B, B/

If your driver will allow it, running them with a 50V Power Supply will give the most power and speed.

Here's Specification and a wiring diagram. You will need to right click and rotate it 3 times. Half coil wiring is at upper right, bottom drawing:

http://www.interinar.com/public_docs/PK266-02A.pdf

CR.

Nice job on the link CR. I just saved a copy for myself.

I am using these on my Xylotex powered Taig with the 20tpi screws.
    If I can get to it this week I will post the results somwhere. I will probably put the g251s that I have on it but if three more resonable sized motors will work the machine well, then I can put the g251s on something else. You can never have enough cnc machines.
    I am completing my 4th this week and we will see what else I can convert to cnc. I think maybe the house cat is next. LOL.

They are small, but at 2A 50V are a perfect match for G251. These are smooth motors and run very fast. Just right for a Sherline--MAYBE a Taig. Do post results please.

CR.

Smile

According to the manual, this stepper driver has recommended voltage

5V and below - 12VDC
    6V to 10V - 24VDC
    11V to 16V - 32VDC
    15V to 24V - 45VDC

Power supply current rating must be greater than the maximum motor driving current.

Pin 4-X2 is for microstepping to be controlled by the software, so which pin no. should I connect these if I have 3 stepper drivers? It has User selectable 1 to 16 microstep function.

Each Driver has electrical connections on the other side with my 3 Stepper Drivers
    1. Positive - (Motor Supply Voltage) My power supply now 12Volts 10Amps
    2. Negative - (Ground)
    3. Black Wire
    4. Green Wire
    5. Blue Wire
    6. Red Wire

My PK266-02A has 6 wires but Yellow and White wires are not connected or ignored.

Driver 1
    1. 5V - Pin 1 (5V 100mA regulated)
    2. Clock - Pin 2
    3. Direction - Pin 3
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground - Pin 18

Driver 2
    1. 5V - Pin 1 (5V 100mA regulated)
    2. Clock - Pin 4
    3. Direction - Pin 5
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground - Pin 19

Driver 3 (5V 100mA regulated)
    1. 5V - Pin 1
    2. Clock - Pin 6
    3. Direction - Pin 7
    4. X2
    5. Off
    6. Ground - Pin 20

Which pin will I connect pin 4 or X2? Sorry I have no idea about electronic terms and im not familiar about the electrical wiring, but I can follow if you can give me instructions on how to do it as I am very eager to learn more about this CNC thingy

Thank you very much for the specification pdf file I needed that Right now im using 3 stepper motors and 3 stepper drivers with 12Volts 10Amps Power Supply.

Are you using a break out board guy? What software are you using?

CR.

Talking

No i dont have breakout boards, I just wire a male DB25 printer port manually to each pin so I can connect it to the cable and through the computer

For now im using Mach3 shareware version for testing my motor movements and probably will use EMC2 from linux

can you post a link to the manual for the drives?

Mike

Smile

Im sorry there is no link for the manual, its only a 1 page printed copy that i have and this stepper driver is just a build kit available locally here.

OK,
    I guess what I am asking is what do you need to do to the x2/pin4?. If it needs 5v for full steps and 0v for micro steps or something. You will not be changing the micro steps on the fly as the software, Mach3 or EMC will not know how to do this, I think.
    So what you will do, depending on what is needed, is to wire it so it satys the same all the time and probalby will not be wired to the pport, just ground or 5v or whatever it needs. I would hazard a guess to set it at 1/8 step for a start with the 13tpi screws. You might be able to go 1/4 step as it will run faster without losing as much torque as 1/8 or 1/16 step but will have less resolution.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12