588,201 active members*
5,109 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Optimum BF20L CNC conversion using the Smooth Stepper
Page 14 of 31 4121314151624
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Yup the motor change is a kinda biggy alright but it really boils down to your machining requirements.....Aluminium and Alloy's higher RPM's.....Steel and Stainless lower RPM's....and if you're going down the belt driven route will you want to use L-Belt or Multi Ribbed timming belts and I believe looking at one or two other posts If my understanding is correct a good speed for finishing not roughing is up around 6,000 - 8,000 RPM for Aluminium but don't forget that at that speed you'd probably want your flood coolant all hooked up and also you will need to upgrade your stock spindle bearings too as if they're the same as the BF20 NSK's their max RPM is 3,500 approx, either way a spindle bearing upgrade is really a kinda must I recon as the Anguler Contact (AC) bearings can withstand far greater side loading forces as opposed to the stock tappered roller bearings and the AC have a higher max RPM and greater accuracy (run out) too.....
    Great reply for me Mad Welder.

Material and Speeds:
    Alloy will be my main material, Yes I was thinking up in the levels of around 6000 RPM and if Ive got this correct was in my mind a motor with around 3-4K RPM and having a 2 to 1 ratio on the belt to get it to 6-8K and also a 1 to 2 for lower speeds but need to look into this as also I need lower speed as I will be wanting to do lots of CNC tapping with maybe a reversable tapping head such as:
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

but the max speed on this is 1500RPM

also tormach do one:
    Auto Reversing Tapping Heads | Tormach LLC | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items

Coolant:
    Im going to do my very very best to stay away from flood coolant
    A mist coolant is what Ill try first such as:

Google Translate

Patent US5390854 - Coolant spray system - Google Patents

When my mill is up and running Ive got my eye on a compressor on ebay:
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I know it may not be a pro compressor but guess its a start.

Bearing:

Yes this is a must and the first step for me - bookmarked the site where you got yours.

Thoughts welcome mate................

PS. Ive just started selling drill bits so shoot to my ebay and pick a dozen or so for yourself and Ill post them over to you free mate:
    HSS Drill Bits, Blacksmith Drill Bits items in hss store on eBay!

John

The stock tapered roller bearings are over twice as strong as AC bearings of the same size.

For long term high speed work AC bearings are the way to go.

With new grease and lower preload you can run the stockers higher than 3500 RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Any reason you are sticking with SS instead of just coming off the C32 BOB with printer port? Is it that much smoother? Not sure if your PC has a printer port, but seems like people are having a tough time with the SS.
    Possible cheaper route....Motherboard
    May not be cheaper in your neck of the woods.
    Yeah I wanted to stick with a motion controller as I have no LPT port on the PC running Mach, and yup again it is very smooth and coupled with the digital drivers it's sweet, fast, quiet and with the USB SS not working so it's extremely quiet

Cheers for the link too to be honest it never entered my mind to actually build a custom PC for the Mill but now........interesting thought:cheers:
    Eoin

I have been reading up on the SS and I really like the Ethernet one. You are probably on the right track since XP's future is close to an end.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Quote Originally Posted by jdurkin View Post
    .....I need lower speed as I will be wanting to do lots of CNC tapping with maybe a reversable tapping head.....also tormach do one...........Im going to do my very very best to stay away from flood coolant.....
    A mist coolant is what Ill try first such as.......
    Yeah that reversible tapping head sure looks sweet and I guess it will be a fairly high priority item for your specific designs too, and is your desire to steer clear of the flood coolant based on a non enclosure dilemma? with the high RPM’s machining Aluminium the flood coolant also keeps the cutting tool clean from chips as especially in tight spots or slots the chips can bind well actually weld themselves to the cutting tool, not sure if mist coolant will suffice here though…….

Cheers for the links too and that guy who made his own coolant system, it’s a pretty darn neat one and that nozzle he uses looks like a MIG welding tip too ha..

and thanks for the offer too
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    The stock tapered roller bearings are over twice as strong as AC bearings of the same size.

For long term high speed work AC bearings are the way to go.

With new grease and lower preload you can run the stockers higher than 3500 RPM.
    Thanks for that arizonavideo I didn't realise the tapered roller were twice as strong as AC I must have misinterpreted the guy at the local bearing shop…and yeah I believe most of the serious builds have the AC bearings too, and also if the tapered rollers are submersed in oil with oil seals on either end of the spindle housing the tapered bearings can be run up to around 7,500 to 8,000RPM I read in the bearing catalogue too.
    Eoin

Hey guy's check this out CNC4PC sure wish this was available when I started this learning curve last year. I guess as time goes by we'll be able to buy turnkey electronics for the CNC hobbyist.....
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Hey guy's check this out CNC4PC sure wish this was available when I started this learning curve last year. I guess as time goes by we'll be able to buy turnkey electronics for the CNC hobbyist.....
    That's definitely more of a plug and play system for someone who isn't really interested in learning the guts of a CNC system by choosing and building the control themselves. Nothing wrong with that.

The only thing I don't like about the system, is the use of the rack mounted enclosure. They are nice and compact, but what tends to happen, and I see this time and time again on here, everything is jam packed in the enclosure, which leaves no room to have any kind of wire duct, and the panel becomes a spaghetti factory.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Starleper1 View Post
    .......The only thing I don't like about the system, is the use of the rack mounted enclosure. They are nice and compact, but what tends to happen, and I see this time and time again on here, everything is jam packed in the enclosure, which leaves no room to have any kind of wire duct, and the panel becomes a spaghetti factory.
    Yeah I agree and if truth be told I wanted to learn everything and I'm still learning but just thought it was an alternative route for guy's unsure and looking to get hooked up fast and learn as their using their CNC machine.

But also remember here too for anybody reading this and are new to CNC'ing and thinking of taking the plunge that the experience learned from a self build is without equal the best way to learn……
    Eoin

or this box of sweetness. CNCRP
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Wink

or this box of sweetness. CNCRP
    Thanks for the link and jeez their prices are kinda steep.....
    Eoin

That is more like what you would see in the industry. Expensive though for the home hobbyist.

Well at least my Smooth Stepper gremlins stayed away today and I was able to finish the outline (profile) of a Guitar model present for my nephew who’s 18 on Saturday 28th next and who has been learning the guitar for the past year and also has an Epiphone acoustic DR model Gibson.com: Epiphone DR-200S so hopefully I’ll be able to finish this by then for him…

and as you can see I haven't connected my coolant yet.....and I recieved a few new toys from Arturo CNC4PC CNC4PC and John Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor Driver,CNC Router, Stepper Motor Power Supply, Stepper Motor Kit, DC Servo Motor, Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor Driver, CNC Router, Stepper Motor Power Supply, Stepper Motor Kit, DC Servo Motor Keling or their new website Automation Technology Inc. | Stepper Motors, Servo Motors, CNC Stepper Motors, Stepper Drivers, CNC Kits, Stepper Kits Automation Technology Inc and also now if I get time over the weekend I'll be able to wire up my VFD to Mach....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-04-24-185.jpg   2012-04-24-186.jpg   2012-04-24-187.jpg   2012-04-24-189.jpg  

Eoin

NICE work!
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Mad,
    I am curious about where you are going with the guitar model. I have a son that also plays a guitar in a band and I'm thinking your model might be a good gift for him.
    Pat
    cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/148568-yax2c-yet_another_x2_conversion.html

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Starnovice View Post
    Mad,
    I am curious about where you are going with the guitar model. I have a son that also plays a guitar in a band and I'm thinking your model might be a good gift for him.

Yeah I though it'd be a pretty cool present too for my Nephew I must varnish the guitar stand base this evening and I polished the model……it came out pretty good considering I hadn’t polished aluminium before did a bit of Stainless polishing for a job a few years ago and there’s no difference really…….
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-04-26-200.jpg   2012-04-26-202.jpg   2012-04-26-203.jpg   2012-04-26-207.jpg  

Eoin

Are you still running this PSU? 48V power supply KL-350-48 48V/7.3A
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Are you still running this PSU? 48V power supply KL-350-48 48V/7.3A
    Yeah that's the one Switching Power Supply and I'm using it to supply power to my digital drivers KL-8070D,Digital Stepper Motor Driver

The PSU supplies 48VDC 7.3A and I needed slightly less then that amperage output to supply power to my drivers otherwise I believe if the drivers are under powered you can't utilise the full holding torque capabilities of the stepper motors...... and the amperage requirements of my motors as I wired them in Parallel required 6.1A (for KL34H295-43-8B) & 6.3A (for KL34H280-45-8A) and here's their specs http://www.kelinginc.net/KL34H295-43-8B.pdf and http://www.kelinginc.net/KL34H280-45-8A.pdf ....

Hope this explains my reason for the PSU
    Eoin

That is what I was wondering. Wouldn't it need close to 18amp for all three motors to operate simultaneously or are the amps calculated in "parallel"?
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

^^
    You are correct. For all three motors to run at max that would be the case. But max speed is not the max, but the holding power. Rarely is this called upon and more often then not I believe the formula is the total power usage * 0.6 to accomodate for that. Personally? I'd go big if you can afford it and just really get a nice large power setup and filtering cap.

Page 14 of 31 4121314151624