587,252 active members*
3,385 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 5 345

more cuts

OK more basic shapes with a 1/8" bit. Amazing cut quality w/ the new spindle!

Also sorry for the noise. I would put a sound track to it but if you're a geek like I am you enjoy hearing the hum of the machine more.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpJVWb7kBCY]Ampersand try 5(?) - YouTube[/ame]
    My 8x4' 8020inc | CNCRouterParts R&P build log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_source_cnc_machine_designs/126280-4x8_8020_r_p_cncrp.html

Looking good

Hi Seth,

Looking very good particularly the 1/8 bit. Where did you source the 1/8 bit?

And did you find out what caused the 'hello' cut to be mirror imaged?

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by Euro3D View Post
    And did you find out what caused the 'hello' cut to be mirror imaged?

On my machine, the first test cuts had an inverted X axis. There are several possible solutions. The easiest that I know of is a simple change in axis orientation in Mach 3 (one mouse click).

BTW, congrats! Your machine looks great!

Thanks I was just thinking that my x-axis was flipped. Tonight I will try switching them (X&A)

Hey thanks! I'm just glad it works half as good as it seems to.
    My 8x4' 8020inc | CNCRouterParts R&P build log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_source_cnc_machine_designs/126280-4x8_8020_r_p_cncrp.html

John,

I got my 1/8" bit and others + ER20 collets from Maritool. Good prices good quality from what I can tell.

If they are backward, then the best way to do it would be under config/ homing/limits.
    Lee

Lee was spot on, I reversed both the X & A axis in Mach3 and problem was resolved!

Your build looks like it's going quite well. I was going to build the same machine, but time and money seem to be putting up a fight. I'll stick with my 3'x4' for now. If you know anyone wanting to build a machine like yours, let me know, I have all of the aluminum and base brackets. I'll let them go cheap. I'm interested in seeing pics of it completed. Keep up the great work.

Fredworrell,

Wow thanks for reminding me about this post. It's been almost a year since I've updated.

Well the good news is the machine is up and running and making buckets of sawdust. Actually I just finished running a part for some speakers I'm building (holy **** does MDF makes a TON of fine dust!). I've made a lot of progress in the past year. I don't even want to count the hours I've spent learning / fixing / improving but I do know that they have all been pretty fun and successful.

I really should post a bunch of photos... but for now here's a video I made while screwing around last night: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZZgT2y3mIc]lattice test - YouTube[/ame]

- - - OK back to your comment. I do know of folks who would love to build a machine like mine but none of them have the space for a 4x8' or the time. That said I still never really use more than 20-50% of my work area. The rest just seems to end up being a junk collector. =P So I don't blame you for being happy with a 3x4' machine. My initial intent to build a machine that I could load a full 4x8' sheet of ply on was novel but in the process of building the thing with no formal plans, just images and rough sketches from this forum I miscalculated some key factors. As it stands I can fit a 4x8 sheet, but it can only cut ~42" on the Y-axis. also there's no room to use t-track clamps either. DOH!
    Oh well, I have yet to run into a part that's too large for my existing constraints. Also I don't use nor yet have a serious need for a CAM program that supports nesting. Thankfully the CAM software I do use (MeshCAM) is very simple and easy to use.

While I'm at it, I might as well post some "Lessons Learned" that I've been meaning to share.

Huanyang VFD = There's a very good reason why it's so cheap.
    Mine **** the bed a while back for some reason. As I recall it was saying there was a short. This led me to rebuild the connection on the 2.2KW spindle as it was lose. The internal lock nut was stripped and thus the connector / plug didn't seem to have a good connection to the spindle body, hence why I thought the VFD wasn't working. When I replaced that with a new 4pin (microphone?) plug I found at RadioShack and the VFD still didn't kick on I just bit the bullet and got a Hitachi X200 VFD and it works like a champ! Highly recommended!!

Spoil Board
    This may be obvious to some but I highly recommend using MDF and not plywood. I initially used 3/4" ply and while that worked just fine I found that it left a lot of "fuzz" that would upset the level surface. Hitting it with a quick sand would knock down some of the fuzz but never to my liking. But the #1 reason I point out using MDF, especially on a large work surface like mine, is SOUND! The density of MDF will deaden the shrill and other nasty noises of a CNC router doing it's thing. I felt like an idiot when a friend mentioned that my work area is like a large soundboard. Thus amplifying the cutter noise.... DOH! I've since replaced the ply with MDF and this had really helped with noise and doesn't leave as much "fuzz". Any that it does can easily be swept off.

Tooling
    Much to my surprise HarborFreight sells some very inexpensive HSS spiral router bits. These are great for someone getting started. But don't expect them to last long. I purchase all of my "nice" bits and collets from MariTool. Their prices, selection and quality are great for what I'm doing.

Oh man I could just keep rambling on but I think this is enough for this post. Maybe later I'll start a new thread "The stuff I learned building a CNC router"......

Cheers,
    Seth

Fantastic!!!

It looks like you've got a smooth machine there. I know what you mean about upgrades and testings. It's a lot of fun but, very time consuming. Very well done. I look forward to future video of magnificent works of art!

Nice work

I noticed you were asking about 4th axis and the G540 in another thread. Are you still planning on doing a G540 + BOB + G251x for 4th axis?

I've yet to add a 4th axis as I keep busy with perfecting my CAD/CAM and general setup skills. Also I've yet to have a serious need for a 4th axis.

I'm sure I'll set one up eventually but most likely I'll invest in a 3D print head for my machine before a 4th axis.

Page 5 of 5 345