588,124 active members*
4,918 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Transport in the cold

Hi, I am purchasing a used Doosan CNC Lathe, it is coming in from the Ohio into Quebec Canada. Are their any special precautions to take with the machine because of the cold weather in January?
    Thanks!

Make sure there is no coolant in it to avoid freezing problems.

You also have to worry about condensation problems when the machine arrives. If you take a cold machine into a warm building condensation will occur everywhere, and I mean everywhere, inside and out, even inside the control cabinet, any motors that are not sealed; any place that air can enter will get condensation. This can be really bad news on electronics, ball screws and linear guides.

I suggest you pay to have the machine sealed into a heavy plastic cover that is totally air tight with bags of moisture absorbing material scattered around inside the machine. Then the plastic should be covered with tarps to protect it from being torn.

Then when the machine arrives at your location you get it inside without opening the plastic cover and let it warm up to room temperature before unwrapping it.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

transport in the cold

The people who are doing the machine inspection are preparing the machine for the rigging as well. They plan on using shrink rap, is that sufficient? They have also said they need to move the axes in transport location, and use shipping brackets to secure the inside. Should I ask for them to use salt bags as well to absorb the moisture? Is it necessary for the local Doosan dealer to prep the machine for the cold and the rigging? The machine is a tt1500sy.

Stretch wrap could be okay provided it is really well done and air tight, but I would try to get something better.

Have a look at this website: http://www.shrinkit-inc.com/

Getting the machine wrapped in something like this would be better even if it cost a bit of money.

Whatever is used it should be air tight and the moisture absorber sacks should be used. These should even be put inside the control cabinet and machine enclosure, not just on the outside. And use lots of them not one or two.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.