588,342 active members*
5,108 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Zero knowledge - need advice !

Hi everyone and thanks for looking at my post.

I am in the process of researching for the starting of a new business - ply lining interiors of commercial vans.
    I know a cnc machine is needed, hooked up to software that has the templates for the different styles of van interiors loaded into it.

What i don't know is what type of cnc machine would be best. Obvioulsy to start with its going to be a small operation so i dont need state of the art machine - infact i'll probably buy reconditioned or pre-owned machine to start with as i'll want to begin by doing this as cheap as possible.
    Also which software would allow me carry out this operation? Again a cheap and easiest to understand version would be what i am looking for.
    Do i need a cutting machine or would the whole template be able to be done via a router ? This question will sum up my knowledge in this area, as its probably dumb lol !!

The ply would be 6mm, 9mm and 12mm thick and longest length would be 6ft and max width would be 4ft.

There will be no fancy cutting , patterns or 3D effects and the machine would be solely required for cutting the ply wood to the various template shapes.

Any advice you guys can give or if you can point me in the right direction then i will be hugely gratefull

Cheers

Ross

G`day Rosco, I am new to cnc myself so i cannot offer you any qualified advice.
    However i have been cruising this site for about a year trying to learn as much as possible before i take the plunge and actually buy a machine.
    From my limited knowledge you would need a machine size of 4ft x 8ft.
    The leading names for low cost cnc routers in the USA would probably include - Shopbot, Shop Sabre, Ez-Rout, K2. There maybe others but these are the names that spring to mind. It would pay you to visit their websites. Shopbot have an excellent forum.
    There are also Chinese machines available such as sh-cnc.
    A very much admired software is V Carve Pro from Vectric and it is quite low priced.
    Good luck with your business venture.

Rocket.

Rosco,
    Do to the high demand on quality built machines you may find some difficulty finding a used flatbet router. I have seen very few advertised that have all the newest in tech features. You can easily find the old bulky ones on ebay but most require 220v 3 phase or 440v. and they are very heavy but cheap, but you will require a indrustrial building.
    I have some chinese mills and they are rinky-dink. When something brakes I make the part or fix the problem because there are no parts or support.
    My first choice would be techno (starts @$18K),, second would be shop sabrer (starts@$.16k). Watch out for the cost of options!!! You can easily hit $30k.
    If you spend $30k+ and get all the bells and whissles you can move into other areas of income generating business with a more versatile machine.
    Go to www.techno-isel.com look for there free book titled: "TheTechno Book of Cad Cam CNC" There is alot of usefull information that will help you select your machine.
    You may find that you don't need to spend alot to get exactly what you need.
    Some home built machines may do the job for you too.
    I have some software for sale that will do the job it is BobCad along with Bob Art X with training tapes,new never installed/never opened. The program is customiseable to adjust to your requirements.
    Best regards
    Don
    [email protected]

Cheers

Thanks guys for your responses. At least I'm now pointed in the right direction. If anyone else thinks they can add some advice don't hesitate.

Thanks again

Rosco

Plylining

Hi There, did you ever find thoses templates for the plylining of vehicles..?
    I have a 8ft x 4ft CNC router and i'm based in North Wales,
    Really just decided to look for info on the Plylining game..
    I have vehicle oulines on CD, will look tomorrow if they are of any use..
    Did you get a Router... let me know Cheers Martin..

Quote Originally Posted by julyjedi72 View Post
    Hi There, did you ever find thoses templates for the plylining of vehicles..?
    I have a 8ft x 4ft CNC router and i'm based in North Wales,
    Really just decided to look for info on the Plylining game..
    I have vehicle oulines on CD, will look tomorrow if they are of any use..
    Did you get a Router... let me know Cheers Martin..
    HI Julyjedi72,

In answer to your question , No - I didn't find any info regarding template info for internal dimensions of vans. I contacted a couple of companies already in the business and they were unwilling to share the information. Any information you have on that CD (and are willing to share) then , of course, I would be more than interested in finding out if it would be of use to me. To be honest its this whole issue that has put this business venture on hold for the moment.
    If I can be of help to you with anything you may need to know I'll do what I can to help.

I look forward to hearing from you.

CHeers

ROsco

If you are just cutting square panels, then wouldn't it be more efficient to buy a vertical panel saw or a slider where you could stack multiple sheets and cut several identical pieces at a time? Will you be doing large volumes of identical vans or one off individual vans?

Quote Originally Posted by julyjedi72 View Post
    I have vehicle oulines on CD, will look tomorrow if they are of any use...
    If those templates are the Pro Vehicle Outlines (or equivalents), then DON'T rely on them for making exact part fitments. They are GREAT for mock ups and general templating, but don't bet the farm on them without checking dimensions against a real vehicle!

If you are looking for an inexpensive machine to start out with check out some of the older digital tool machines. That is what we started out with but outgrew it and moved up to a Thermwood.

Also, check exfactory.com they always have a lot of used machines on there. Actually I think I saw a digital tool router on there for $9,000.